2 August 2016

Baby beetroot, puff pastry


The greengrocer had these lovely baby beetroots, smaller than a golfball and I could not resist them.

They were pre-cooked so all I had to do was heat them up. To do that I warmed a bit of butter and a splash of olive oil and added a teaspoon of caster sugar, a splash of apple vinegar, salt and pepper. Halved the beets and warmed them up slowly. Stirring from time to time.

I had put the oven on 185°C and used a saucer to cut 2 rounds out of frozen puff pastry, which I put between to buttered sheets of baking paper. The top layer weighted down with coins, to avoid the dough rising.
This way I baked them for 10 minutes, then removed the coins and top layer of paper and baked for another 8 mins till nice and brown.

In the meantime I made a vinaigrette from a teaspoon of Dyon mustard, a tsp apple vinegar and 5 tbsp olive oil. I cut a shallot finely and did the same with parsley.

In the end I put the hot halved babies on the pastry discs and spooned the vinaigrette and the beet juices over it. 

(inspired by Veg!, Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall)

NB Next time I might use flatbread dough instead of the puff pastry...

Follow me on Instagram: peterschoenmaker7. And have a look at my Kindle book 'Breakfast in Gascony' on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment