31 July 2012

Oven poached turbot, thyme, chives, parsley

Another simple recipe from Mr Stein. Buy a whole turbot. Use a sharp knife to cut trough the (tough) skin around the fleshy parts. This will allow you later to remove the skin and take out the fillets. Pre-heat the oven at 200C. Place the fish in an ovendish and add 7 dl water. I also added 1 frozen cube of my own fishstock and a glass of white wine. Put in the hot oven for 30 mins.
In the meantime get some fresh thyme, chives and flatleaf parsley from your garden and cut finely. Melt 50 grs butter and off-heat mix the butter with the herbs to make a nice sauce.

Prepare whatever you want to give with the fish. Today I sliced a potato, boiled the slices 4
mins, then fried them in duckfat. Grilled some courgette slices and boiled some beans,
carrot and  yellow paprika 

Then comes the time to take the dish out of the oven and the fish out of the pan. Transfer some of the cooking liquid into a saucepan and reduce.

Take the skin from the turbot and the fillets out

Add the reduction to the herbed butter and mix fiercely to create an even nicer sauce.

Note: making a sauce like this takes a lot of time when you do not have it. I was afraid everything would get cold in the meantime. For the next time I have frozen the rest of the cooking liquid. When the times comes I can defrost and reduce it. Then I am going to whisk small cubes of cold butter in and only after that add the herbs.

This will improve the consistency of the sauce and allow me to concentrate on the potatoes and veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment